Call us today01372 450 800Open 7am-4pm, Mon-Fri

Need some help?

Please see below a list of frequently asked questions, questions that we are often asked. Simply click the question of interest and the answer will be revealed.

I’m interested in obtaining my HGV/LGV license. What benefits are there for obtaining my license, how much could I earn, what are the potentials?

Once you’ve qualified as a professional HGV driver it doesn’t stop there. There are many career options you can consider once you’ve got category C or C+E entitlement under your belt. For example, you may want to look into the options of transporting dangerous goods or driving an HGV fitted with a crane, all of which require additional training. You could even move on to become an owner operator, subject to an Operator CPC course being completed.

An HGV driver can expect to earn up to £30,000. Like many professionals, the more qualified and experienced you are, the greater the salary. Once qualified, it’s certainly worth looking into extracurricular courses such as ADR or lorry loader training.

The UK is currently in the middle of a serious HGV driver shortage due to an ageing workforce. This shortage is expected to continue for at least the next five years as more drivers reach retirement age.

The demand for category C and C+E drivers continues to grow every year. EP Training has joined forces with London’s largest independent haulier, ELB Partners, to guarantee you a job interview after successfully passing your exams. ELB Partners, like many hauliers, are actively seeking to expand their workforce. Furthermore if you work for ELB Partners for 12 months, your training fees will be reimbursed.

Is the course(s) difficult, what should I expect?

Like any practical and theoretical course that’s geared for a new career, an HGV course is both intensive and challenging. It’s specifically designed that way so that you can be armed with the skills and knowledge you’re likely to need during your professional driving vocation.

EP Training is one of the most reputable companies in the UK and we’ve been helping students pass with ease and confidence for 35 years. We’re good at what we do and our fully qualified, DSA approved instructors will guide you through every step of your training.

Where will I do my training and how long should I expect it to last?

You training will take place at either our Great Bookham or Addlestone facilities. You can choose which location you’d prefer ahead of your training. Additionally we have access to a large off-road training area where you’ll practice manoeuvres in preparation for your practical driving exam.

Your instructors will ensure you’ve had plenty of experience driving the various test routes in and around the Guildford area while out on the road.

The entire HGV licence acquisition takes on average around 8 weeks to complete. That’s from applying for the medical to completing your final exam. You can expect your practical driving training to last for five days.

What time and days of the week is training available?

Training takes place between the hours of 7am and 3.30pm Monday through to Friday at both our Great Bookham and Addlestone facilities. Practical tests take place at the end of the week, either Friday or Saturday.

How many people are in the cab whilst training?

All of our HGV training is carried out on a two-to-one basis.  Please contact us if you require any further clarification on our practical training arrangements.

Is the theory test included in the training?

Yes is it. The theoretical element of your course comes under modules 1 and 2 of your Initial Driver CPC training. Module 1 is the theory and hazard perception test. You’ll be familiar with the format if you’ve previously completed a theory test for your car licence. You’ll have to answer a series of multiple choice questions and then watch video clips and point out the various hazards as they occur.

Module 2 is the case study. You’ll be given 7 different scenarios and you’ll be expected to answer up to eight multiple choice questions for each scenario.

What is required from me before I can start training?

Before you can begin your training proper, there are a number of formalities that need to be completed, all of which we can help you achieve at no extra cost.

First of all, you need to apply for and pass a medical assessment which we can organise this on your behalf. We arrange for a local GP to visit you at our premises to undertake a series of basic medical checks to confirm you’re fit enough and healthy enough to start your career as a professional HGV driver.

After you’ve passed your medical you will need apply for provisional category C entitlement; in other words a provisional HGV licence. Again, we can help you complete your forms prior to sending to the DVLA.

I have a full driving license. Why do I need to apply for a provisional lorry license?

Your current, full driving licence will only cover you for category B entitlement and, depending on when you passed your driving test, C1 and D1 entitlement. For that reason you will need to apply for provisional category C entitlement to be added to your licence while you’re learning to drive an HGV.

Can I pass my test in less than 5 days?

Depending on your previous driving experience it can be done, although most of our students opt for the full five days training package in order to receive ample time to train, practice and ask our instructors plenty of questions ahead of the examination.

What payment methods do EP Training accept?

We accept cash, cheques, BACS payments and most major credit and debit cards. We also accept payment via PayPal and Worldpay.

Additionally, finance is available for our practical LGV courses. We’ve teamed up with licensed credit provider, DEKO to offer our students a 12months, 9% credit option. Finance can be easily arranged by completing the form and credit agreement at checkout. An instant decision will be given.

Contact us if you’d like more information on our finance package.

Cant find your question?

Need help with a question not listed above? No problem, simply click here to head over to our contact page and make an enquiry. Alternatively, give us a call on 01372 450 800.

Scroll To Top